Select one among the following groups from Chapter 1 ( Burkholder, D. M., & Nash, N. B. (2013). Special populations in health care [Electronic version]):
- Vulnerable mothers and children
- Abused individuals
- Chronically ill and disabled people
- People diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- People diagnosed with mental conditions
- Suicide- and homicide-liable people
- People affected by alcohol and substance abuse
- Indigent and homeless people
- Immigrants and refugees
- Groups for special consideration (you may propose a different vulnerable population at the consent of the instructor)
Once you have selected a group of interest, write a three page paper that covers the following:
- Discuss the impact that at least two of the factors below have on the vulnerability of your chosen group:
- Analyze the intersection of social, political, and economic factors affecting vulnerability (must address all three factors).
- Draft the design of a new model program, not currently existent within your community. Provide a two- to- three paragraph statement that introduces your proposed community program. This section is tentative and might change as you conduct more research. At a minimum, however, items to address should include:
- An explanation of the issues and risk factors experienced by the selected population.
- An evaluation of the health needs of the group and a proposed continuum of care level (preventive, treatment, or long-term care) based on the group’s issues, risk factors, and needs. Justify the proposed level with supportive research/evidence.
- A description of one to two proposed services your program will include.
Your assignment should be a minimum of three pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and should include a minimum of three scholarly sources cited according to APA guidelines.