Write a formal position paper on one of the eight contemporary ethical issues, reflecting how study of the Abrahamic religions and their approaches to values and decision-making has influenced your thinking. The bibliography must include a minimum of 6 sources in addition to the textbook (Note: A bibliography should contain both sources quoted/paraphrased and those used for background reading.) The paper should be approximately 5 to 6 typed, double-spaced pages in length and must follow the guidelines for formal research papers noted below.
Writing Standard and Grading Rubric
- addresses the writing prompt/assignment
- insightful, creative, original, and comprehensive
- reflects critical thinking
- logical and coherent
- proceeds from a sharply focused thesis
- contains an introduction and a conclusion
- acknowledges/presents conflicting viewpoints fairly
- supports major points with strong arguments and/or reliable authorities (citations)
- Writing Style
- clear, concise, and energetic
- smooth transitions between paragraphs and major ideas
- variety of sentence style and length
- rich vocabulary and appropriate word choice
- academic tone
- correct grammar, syntax, punctuation, and spelling
- correct form (MLA or APA style)
- Use inclusive language.
- Write in the third person; first person singular is permissible if used appropriately (e.g., when the student is stating her/his personal position).
- Do not use contractions or non-standard abbreviations.
- Avoid the imperative mood.
- Use a standard font of readable size (e.g., Times New Roman, 12 point)
- Use a one inch margin for all margins.