- Locate 4â€“5 articles, at least 3 of which have not been provided as readings in this course, on the topic of multiculturalism and how cultural issues impact curriculum, instruction, and assessment. Be sure to include both empirical articles and other types of articles about which you learned in the Unit 5 studies. Use current articlesâ€”those that have been published within the last five years.
- Complete Part 1: Draft an annotation for each article. Annotations are short summaries that encompass the main information from the article. For empirical articles, you should include the purpose of the study, data collection and analysis details, and the findings. Then, identify any limitations of the study. For other types of articles, include the author’s main premises: describe the main ideas that the author discussed.
- Complete Part 2: Provide a 2â€“3 page summary in which you synthesize the research. This should be an integrated discussion of the literature you read; it should not read like a list of article summaries. When you synthesize the literature you read, you combine the different articles into a wholeâ€”an integrated discussion of the literature, not a list of article summaries. Usually, the articles you select on a topic can cluster around a theme. (In this case, the theme might be one particular issue related to multicultural issues related to curriculum, instruction, and assessment.) Link the article summaries together in a connected way.
In writing a synthesized summary:
- DO: Identify the theme/issue and discuss it, using citations from the articles. In your discussion, draw overall conclusions based on the literature you read, make recommendations for teaching practice, and connect the practice in your own setting to the research.
- DO NOT: Write a list of the main points of the articles as your summary. It should NOT read: this author saidâ€¦this author saidâ€¦this author said.
Combine both parts of the assignment into one Word document and submit that document in the assignment area.
- Parts 1 and 2 should be combined into one Word document.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting.
- Length: 2â€“3 double-spaced, typed pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Impacts on Learning
In your upcoming assignment, you are creating a PowerPoint presentation with an intended audience of new educators in your setting. To begin thinking about the content of your presentation, respond to these prompts:
- In your setting, what are the most significant issues related to diversity?
- How do these issues that you identified impact student learning?
- How do these issues that you identified impact the work of educators? Specifically, address curriculum, instruction, and assessment, as well as any other areas that are impacted.