1. Select three examples of visual culture according to your interests. One must be a 2-D image (painting, logo, graphic design, photograph). Another must be an image of a 3-D object (sculpture, product, garment). The last must be an image of a space (interior, designed environment, public space) that you have experienced in person.
2. Select one of these three examples to focus on and write a 500+ word formal analysis. Begin with a general description of what you see, using vocabulary terms such as composition, foreground, middle ground, background and scale.
Consider these questions to get you started:
- What is presented in this image/object/space? What do I notice first? Why?
- What forms, contours, lines, values, colors and textures are present?
- How big or small is this selection? What is the relationship of its scale to other images or objects, or to my body?
- What materials are present? What is their impact? Can I tell how it was made?
- How do the forms relate to each other? Is there a sense of cohesion or separateness?
- What terms from the readings and class discussions apply to these examples?