You just started your new position as county health commissioner. One of the issues facing your county is the rising number of obesity cases among children and adults. The county law makers want to implement the following policies to reduce the impact of obesity
- Implement “NFL Play 60” movement in all school districts of the county
- Decrease the health insurance benefits of those who are obese
- Implement a 1% tax on all snack items
They have asked for your input as an epidemiologist on how the proposed policy changes might impact on obesity. The law makers are also open to implementing any alternative policy that may be more suitable than three provided.
- Having being trained in the tools and methods of epidemiology do you agree or disagree with the above proposed policies?
- How would you apply your epidemiology skills to justify and establish policy changes that can prevent and reduce childhood and adult obesity in your county?
- Do you think there might be effective alternative policies that can be implemented based on epidemiologic evidence?