After reading chapters 7 and 8 of the Berger text, watch and read the following: Textbook Invitation to the Lifespan by Berger
( Berger, K. (2016). Invitation to the Life Span. New York, New York: Worth Publishers. )
- TED Talk “How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime.” Nadine Burke
- Article: “How to Build Resilient Kids, Even After a Loss” Sheryl Sandberg
Pick a specific type of trauma or stressor, which might be experienced by a child in middle childhood. Imagine that you are helping to support this child/family in relation to this specific trauma or stressor. Specific examples to chose from might be: abuse, natural disaster, witnessing domestic violence (or other forms of violence), the death of a loved one, or bullying.
- In 3-4 pages, address the theme of childhood trauma, looking at the impacts on childhood development. You should focus on potential impacts on Cognitive Development, Physical Development, and Emotional/Social Development
In your paper, address the following questions:
- Potential impacts on: Cognitive Development, Physical Development, and Emotional/Social Development of your chosen trauma or stressor-What evidence can you point to that would validate this information (provide citations to scholarly research).
- What are internal or external resources that you would direct this family towards, especially in relation to building resilience in children?
- Length: 3-4 pages (not including cover or reference pages), formatted in APA Style
- APA Style Cover Page
- APA Reference Page
- Introductory Paragraph: setting forth a clear statement of your thesis.
- Conclusion: a concise statement that reaffirms your thesis.
- References: Use of at least 3 references. Be sure to cite the article, Ted Talk, as well the textbook.